Does anyone out there ever feel like they have "that kid"? You know the one who is sprawled out on the floor of Walmart screaming at the top of his lungs, while the people around are giving you "that look" like, "ewwww, one of those moms who has one of those kids". And you think, "gosh, how great it is to be one of [those] moms with [this kid] right now".
The one who asks if he can have a cookie and when you say, "not right now, maybe after lunch", he goes ballistic on you and you are in an hour long struggle between you and the last ounce of patience you have in you? During which time, he screams, "I don't want to be your friend, and you're not even pretty!!!".
This is not quite the picture I had in my head when I signed up for this job. Somedays I think daycare is hands-down a better solution than what I've got going on here.
This is a picture of "that kid" playing soccer last season. 
This is a picture of his patient father attempting to give him the courage he needs to get out on the field. 
These are pictures of brotherly love??? that's found in our home. 


What is NOT PICTURED is a mother crying because she feels like sometimes she has "that kid" who she doesn't know what to do with, that she loves so much and knows that he has so many redeeming qualities that are much less embrassing in public, but wonders why he refuses to use them when she needs them most.
Thursday, March 6, 2008
That Kid
Posted by
alli may
at
8:49 AM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



11 comments:
Yes Allison, I too have a "that kid". Although mine is a girl. She too picks those prime public opportunities to show her "best" qualities. I cringe to think of what she does when I am not around. I just wanted to let you know that you are not alone. We should form some kind of support group or something. MOTC- Mothers of "Those" Children. By the way- those pictures are priceless.
I do totally understand. Neither one of my boys is "that kid" all the time, but they take turns being "that kid" and I can relate to feeling like they would be better off in daycare.
You're doing a great job, and I know that "these kids" come with a mind of their own. That's the tricky part, learning to let them be their own person while trying to teach them what a mom should teach them. Let me know if you ever figure it out!
He gets it from Brent. My parents had to put him on the porch so he would stop sleeping in the bed with them. :) Honestly- I love Willy Wheels more than he'll ever know. However, I know I'm not his mom and I don't have to put up with him on a 24/7 basis. Allison- you are great with him. You are a wonderful mom. You have wonderful kids. I truly admire you.
If it's any consolation, he's never been "that kid" when I'm watching him. Maybe that just plain sucks for you because his bad side only comes out for you. But maybe it makes up for it that he won't be "that kid" for any of his teachers in school either. And he sure is cute to make up for it!! (As if that does!)
I have "that kid" too, Allison. And I just keep thinking he'll grow out of this "stage" but I'm not so sure it's a stage with him. I think it's just his disposition. But anyway, he's the worst with me. He's better with everyone else. Makes me nuts and greatful at the same time. I love you to pieces. I love your adorable kids. You ARE a great mom, A. And you're beautiful. And even though you meant it to be funny (and I knew you did) I just wanted to let you know how truly beautiful (and funny!) you are!! Thanks for making me laugh. :)
HeidiVee
The only perk about having "that kid" (as we all know I clearly do) is that you are so much less judgemental to the other Mom's of "those kids". So easy to see where they are coming from. I used to look down my nose on sooo much concerning kids before I actually became a Mom myself. If anything we can be grateful that we are more understanding, right?
Trying to find the silver lining in my madness of a life, can you tell? =)
Oh, yes, I'm sure every mother has one at one point or another!
I cry too. I hope I'm not ruining my child!!!
I just pray that HF backs me up because he loves my child too! All I can do is my best, and, really that will work. We all get there somehow!
Chin up! Love you!
I can't even imagine not having "that kid", because no matter how totally crazy she makes me, I still fall in love with that little girl everytime she is fast asleep. (That lasts until the next morning when she wakes up!!)
I had to laugh at your entry and as you can tell by previous comments we all feel that way about our kids at one time or another. I had a great moment in Wal Mart when Camryn was about 4 and she screamed at me in her loud raspy voice "your the meanest mom, you keep yelling at me and giving me a headache" Of course everyone around was staring at me and I believe I broke down right there. We all have "those moments" with "that kid" just know that anyone who has been a mom longer than a year can feel your pain.
I had to laugh at your entry and as you can tell by previous comments we all feel that way about our kids at one time or another. I had a great moment in Wal Mart when Camryn was about 4 and she screamed at me in her loud raspy voice "your the meanest mom, you keep yelling at me and giving me a headache" Of course everyone around was staring at me and I believe I broke down right there. We all have "those moments" with "that kid" just know that anyone who has been a mom longer than a year can feel your pain.
Oh man can I feel your pain! Mine is my daughter! You are lucky you just get "I don't want to be your friend" I get "I hate you and you are the worst mom ever" to which I reply, then go find a new mom that will be nicer to you, in fact, I will help you look for one! That usually gets a "no, I like you" or something along that line. I was told to read a book called "Raising your Spirited Child" this weekend and tomorrow, I am off to the bookstore to find it. I need all the help I can get! It makes me feel better to know that I am not alone in the battle of "that kid"
Post a Comment