Thursday, October 2, 2008

My Dad's Heart


Last week my dad was feeling some strange pains (which must've been pretty terrible because he never goes to the doctor) so he went to see the doctor. The doctor did an EKG and thought he should go to the hospital for a stress test which was scheduled for a couple hours later. In the meantime, Dad called my mom to tell her he didn't feel well enough to get himself to the hospital. My mom convinced him to call 911, which he did. Dad had a heart attack, and he went to the hospital in the ambulance. At the hospital the doctor put 3 stents into his main artery (which was 95% blocked). Because of the heart attack part of the heart was damaged, so they put him on medicine to help it pump to full capacity. Dad was doing well enough a couple of days later, to graduate off of the medicine and the heart is pumping well enough on it's own for him to go home. He is feeling good, and he looks great. He returned home Wednsday.

It is a miracle! It is a miracle that Dad took himself to the Doctor, called 911, and his life was saved. I am so grateful Dad is well. It is a great reminder of what life is all about, how I take for granted the wonderful people in my life, and how I need to rely more on the Lord. I am grateful to Emergency Rescue Heros who live in my area, for good doctors, for modern day medicine, and for life itself.

I have been inspired to love a little more, to take care of myself and the relationships of those around me. I have even scheduled an appointment to have my own health evaluated.

My dad is one of my greatest heros in life. He is the kindest, most gentle, loving, humble, gentleman one will ever meet. He means the world to me and my kids. He is loved and adored by everyone he's ever worked with at work or church. I am so glad this is not a eulogy, and that we can celebrate his life with him. I love you Dad, and I'm so glad you're still here with us.

19 comments:

fluffy said...

Crazy Stuff. Like I said before I'm glad he is OK.

Maybe I should stop eating all those mint oreo cookies and start exercising???

Cute Family picture!

MarKay said...

I'm glad he is okay. It's things like this- when they happen to people that you are close to and love, that really make you think about what's important in life (and take a look at your own health!)

Miss you!

MarKay said...

I'm glad he is okay. It's things like this- when they happen to people that you are close to and love, that really make you think about what's important in life (and take a look at your own health!)

Miss you!

Karie said...

Good news about Ike! So glad he's doing better! I love the new picture of your family - sooooo cute!

J said...

I know how much your dad means to you and I am so glad that everything is OK! It is always so important to remember the things that matter most in life -- our eternal families :) I miss you tons!

Walker Family said...

Jon and I just heard the news about your dad and we are SO grateful that everything turned out with a positive outcome! It is a miracle when you see lifes saved like that!!! We will keep him and your family in our prayers that he has a 100% recovery! We love you guys! Jon, Andrea and Nathan

heidivee said...

Oh my gosh, A. I am so glad he is OK. That is really scary. It really makes you think, huh?

Troy Farnsworth said...

We are so glad that Ike is ok. It is amazing how many miracles touch our lives each and every day. I'm with you on all of the compliments you gave Ike in this post. He really is someone you can look up to. My Dad always loved Ike so much and respected him in so many ways. Thanks for the note on our blog. It's always good to hear from you.

T.Bailey said...

It is in these moments that we truly realize how much we love those around us. Thank you for this blog. I needed it.

BreAnne Kavanagh said...

Hey there! It's BreAnne and Trevor Kavanagh, I found your blog off of Josh and Danielle's. I'm so sorry about your dad, that's scary. Your family is so adorable, we're going to miss seeing all of you at the work functions. This way we can sort of keep in touch though :)

Heidi said...

said perfectly, your family pic is darling

Lance and Em said...

What a great tribute to your Dad. Glad he is doing better.

Angie Penrose said...

Oh man! Glad he is doing okay! Thinking of you. :)

Bonnie Walker said...

I hope your Dad is feeling better. My dad had a heart attack almost 2 years ago, isn't it terrifying!

kacee said...

I am so glad to hear that all is well with your dad. Life is precious...

Nickie said...

That's so scary, I'm glad things turned out okay.
Love you

Angie Penrose said...

I love your family pic you have up! It is SO cute! Your kids are getting to big. :) and yep my pics were in our front yard.

Greg and Niki said...

Gosh, I am so sorry! I am happy that all is well!

The Mansfield's said...

I am soooo glad that he is O.K. I honestly have not looked at your blog in forever and I am just seeing this now! That is so scary and it made me cry when I read it. WOW! Life is crazy and it doesn't take much to open our eyes, does it? Love you and miss you!