Thursday, October 15, 2009

Just a Mom



The older my kids get, the busier I get. Moe and W both have homework, and a couple extra cirricular activities. At the beginning of each new school year I find myself completely overwhelmed and stressed out with all the things I have to manage in a day. Sometimes it's a miracle it all keeps going. A couple weeks into daily homework with both kids, everyday piano lessons, chauffering to music and dance, school, being a cheerleader and nanny for the coach at soccer, I began to wonder why it feels like I'm the one doing all of this again. How did I become a student again??? Then I started to wonder why it is that when I'm talking to a friend who has a degree and a nice full time job, when asked what I do,I say "I'm just a mom". Why is this? Because JUST is just not really giving my title the credit it deserves. As an army seargant, caregiver, nurse, cook, chauffer, counsler, shrink, teacher, costume designer, tutor, cheerleader, who's had to learn to be patient, understanding, loving, relaxed, flexible, happy, and selfless, it doesn't feel like a just kind of a job. And the only thing you're given for this awesome JUST of a job is not a nice fat paycheck, it's a dirty look and a judgement call from a stranger at the store.

And that's just the life of just a mom.

5 comments:

T.Bailey said...

There is no thing as JUST being a mom. Each kid is a full time job. And there is nothing more important you can be doing with your time. I truly praise each mother out there and am grateful for their hard, and often unnoticed, work. You are a fantastic mom Alli. Keep doing what you are doing knowing than many of us really do appreciate you.

Walker Family said...

I agree!! No way you're JUST a Mom!! People who aren't mom's may not understand what it takes and what dedication and selfless love it takes. You sacrifice a LOT to be a mom! :) Don't sell the Job title short...to me there is no job or money amount that would make me trade in my hat as a mama!! :)

Miquel said...

Allison I came over to your blog because Brent just showed me your family pics and I thought they were so seriously cute. I loved them all. Then... I just read your post and this is silly but I really needed to hear that. Since Avree started school, having a baby, and working, I've felt like I'm going to lose my mind. I'm so overwhelmed. It "seems" so easy for everyone else so there must be something wrong with me. HAHAHAHA. Thanks so much for making me feel better.

Tennisa Nordfelt said...

Amen sister! And after reading the book "I Am A Mother", I've learned to never say "just a mom". All of that hard work deserves, "I AM A MOTHER"!!! You're work is priceless my friend. I love you!

jenn said...

Amen.