Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Chiclana and Cadiz, Spain





Chiclana and Cadiz are cities in southern spain, part of B's mission. We flew from Barcelona to Jerez, where our friends (the couple B baptized) Jesus and Minoli Rincon picked us up, and brought us to their home in Chiclana. I teased Jesus that he drove like James Bond (code for the scariest driver I've ever seen or heard of in my life). None of the spaniards we were with spoke a bit of english, so I was pretty much relying on Mr. Crandal's spanish class from 1990 or something. WOW! Actually, believe it or not, some of it did come back to me. Verbs especially helped me know what the conversation was based around... but I pretty much was useless from that point on. We spent the evening at an authentic Spanish fiesta... even stayed up until 2am on a school night (so did a bunch of the kids!). We spent a day at the most beautiful beach in Chiclana, and one day we toured Cadiz. Cadiz is a really old city with lots of Roman ruins. One night we went to Feria... in my opinon the picture looks much more exciting than the fair itself. By this point on our vacation I was truly lost in translation and thought Feria was something else, so I was quite disappointed that it was like the State Fair.

No comments: