Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Paris and Versailles, France







My spelling is terrible this whole trip... sorry.

Paris was so much fun. One of my favorite things was the boat ride down the Siene at sun down... and then seeing the Eiffel Tower all lit up at night. The Louvre was amazing and made me realize how much I don't know about art history.
We stayed with the cutest lady ever...Loli. I have never met anyone so funny in my whole life. She made us the yummiest food, and now me, Emily, and Loli are in some best friend club for life or something! We laughed our heads off in a french karaoke bar where the french guys were all drunk and crazy, and no one knew the right words to YMCA.

Versailles was my favorite part of France. There is something about Marie Antoinette that is fascinating to me. The gardens are so incredibly breathtaking. I was really interested in seeing her private Chateau. It was awesome. We were in a rush to get to the airport from there which was crazy because the train was packed with soccer fans on their way to a game. We ended up missing our flight... which was such a bummer!!!

Things I learned about France:
*like 50% of people are African, which I wasn't expecting at all, they all speak french
*French people are very private and reserved
*Europeans go on strike, leave for lunch, or are sold out anytime they want
*France is not at all wheelchair accessible... luckily Jeff can walk with help
*EVERYONE SMOKES... you can't go 5 feet in any direction without running into a smoker and their cigarettes are not filtered.
*Mopeds don't have any traffic rules, apparantly
*cathedrals all look the same after a while
*apparantly the french aren't thirsty
*I needed to stop eating so the waiter would bring our check
*french pastries are the best ever!

3 comments:

Karie said...

Wow what an amazing trip!!!! I of course had no idea you were going BUT when we talked to the Bristols from our stake who met you in Spain, I knew you were there... and I've been watching your blog for an update! Happy 10th Anniversary - what a great way to spend it!!!!!!! You two look fantastic!

sweet pickles said...

Wow, what a trip. LUCKY! Great pictures.

jenn said...

What beautiful pictures, Alli!

Your French comments are making me laugh. Apparently we Americans are thirsty all the time.